I’m joyous that there is an entire month dedicated to celebrating the history and legacy of black people. Although as a culture our contributions are often forgotten I can look around my house and point out things invented by my ancestors year-round. I celebrate my culture and heritage daily so this month is no a reminder of just history in my eyes but a way to pay tribute to those who sacrificed there lives for black people to have equality, be accepted, and provided limited freedom.
In honor of my ancestors and to celebrate Black History Month I decided to kick off the month by creating a custom, two personalized t-shirts. This year like most years I celebrate 365 days of Black History Month. I also work hard with the thought engraved in my mind how do I make my ancestors proud.
My Dad recently retired at the age of seventy. Many of my Uncles served in the Navy for many years one retired after serving on over thirty-one vessels. He was a well-decorated Veteran and served this country until he passed two years ago. My family believes that you must work for everything you earn and it’s important to past the torch back.
When I sat down to make my shirts I thought of my Uncle David who means the world to all who knew him. We would spend hours talking about my career, hopes, and dreams. We would also talk about how important it was to represent our family in a positive light which meant no days off someone is always watching.
This month to celebrate I plan to support small black own business and attend events hosted in celebration of Black History Month. Here is a list of events in my area and if you’re in a different city you can also search for local events close by.
- Cricut Explore Air 2
- Cricut EasyPress
- Cricut Infusible Ink Transfer Sheets
- Cricut Brand Blank V-Neck T-shirts
- Cricut Tools
- Choose your image and upload it to the design space.
- Edit the size.
- Select the Infusible Ink Transfer Sheets.
- Load Infusible Ink Transfer Sheets in the Explore Air 2
- Move the extra transfer sheet paper.
- Setup your Easy Press and heat mat.
- Apply heat and infuse your design into your t-shirt.
- I love how the Explore Air 2 cut a seamlessly smooth image. The professional quality of infusible ink left me super impressed so I decided to make another shirt.